American Express® Gold Card
Fees & APRs
Fees and APRs will vary, always be sure to check with the card issuer.
Dive into the geeky details and see how you reap the benefits.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- $120 Uber Cash: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Terms Apply.
Read through our extensive research on the American Express® Gold Card and see if its the best credit card for you.
The American Express Gold Card is the ultimate credit card for foodies and travelers. This card will give you 4 points per $1 spent at restaurants worldwide, 4 points per $1 at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 spent per year), and 3 points per $1 spent on flights booked directly through airlines or through amextravel.com. All other purchases made on this card will get you 1 point per $1 spent. Cardholders can take advantage of these rewards bonuses each year so whether you’re cooking at home, going out to eat or want loaded travel perks, the American Express Gold Card should be at the top of your list.
The Amex Gold card will give you $100 per year in statement credits for fees charged by airlines and up to $120 in credits each year for dining purchases from partners like Grubhub and Seamless. Also, as an intro bonus, if you spend $4,000 within three months of opening the American Express Gold card, you’ll receive 35,000 points.
The Amex Gold Card has an annual fee of $250. If you take advantage of all the rewards and perks the annual price can be justified. Check out our summary on the Amex Gold Card below, we will highlight the pros and cons.
American Express Gold Card Review Highlights:
- Annual Fee: With a $250 annual fee, the Amex Gold could still be worth it to cardholders that will use the card’s rewards and other perks each year.
- Initial Bonus: 35,000 points for spending $4,000 within three months. That’s worth roughly $300, depending on how you redeem.
- Airline Fee Credits: Up to $100 per year from one airline. You get to choose your airline when you open an account, and you’ll have the opportunity to switch each January.
- Dining Credits: Get up to $10 per month ($120 per year) with eligible dining partners like Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations.
- Restaurant Rewards: Get 4 points per $1 at restaurants worldwide. This is one of the highest earning rates available from a credit card for restaurant purchases.
- Rewards on Groceries: Get 4 points per $1 at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 spent per year, then 1 point per $1). The average person spends just north of $4,100 per year on groceries, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Airfare Rewards: 3 points per $1 spent on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com. So, if you’re into shopping around for flights on third party websites you’ll have to change your ways to get airfare rewards with this card.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee: Travel at ease with no foreign transaction fees.
- “Pay Over Time” Feature: $100+ purchases are eligible to be paid down over an extended period, for a fixed fee. Amex must approve transactions for Pay Over Time status.
- Good or Excellent Credit Needed: For high approval odds, you’ll want a credit score of 700 or higher.
The bottom line: The American Express Gold Card is one of the best cards for food lovers and travelers. The annual fee can be easily justified if you do the bulk of your spending on food and travel, and take advantage of the yearly statement credits.
Spend some time reviewing the last details on the American Express® Gold Card.
- Max Late Fee $40
- Max Overlimitfee Not Applicable
- Max Penalty Apr See Rates & Fees
- Grace Period 25 days
- Online Response Yes
- Cash Advanceapr 25.24% (V)
- Cash Advancefee 5% (min $10)
- Foreigntransaction Fee 0%
- Smart Chip Yes, chip-and-PIN
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- This American Express Card has no preset spending limit, giving you purchasing power that adjusts with your use of the card. No preset spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors including spending patterns, your payment history, your credit history, and financial resources known to us.