Oregon, known for its lush forests, vibrant arts scene, and craft breweries, has another claim to fame – its unparalleled love for pets. The Beaver State’s residents have a unique way of pampering their furry friends, and the numbers are here to prove it.
- Oregonians Love Pet Fashion: 79% have bought outfits for their pets.
- Bespoke Pet Treats are a Hit: 75% have ordered special treats like ‘puppacinos’.
- Party Time for Pets: 62% of Oregon pet owners celebrate their pet’s birthdays.
- Festive Gifting for Furry Friends: 83% buy their pets birthday or Christmas presents.
- Holistic Pet Care on the Rise: 46% have opted for complementary therapies for their pets.
- Special Diets Reflect Health Consciousness: 33% of pets have a special diet, with 11% trying veganism.
- Oregon’s Proactive Approach to Pet Health: 52% of pets have allergies, with 39% tested for the same.
- Generous Pet Expenditure: Oregonians spend an average of $6,139 annually on their pets.
1. Dressing Up the Fur Babies
Oregonians Love Pet Fashion: A significant 79% of Oregon pet owners have bought outfits for their pets. While this might seem like a whimsical indulgence to some, it’s a testament to the state’s love for making their pets feel special. This figure is slightly below California’s 81% but well above the national average, making Oregon one of the top states for pet fashion.
2. Special Treats for Special Pals
Bespoke Pet Treats are a Hit: 75% of Oregon pet owners have ordered their pets a ‘puppacino’ or other bespoke treats. This not only underscores the state’s love for gourmet delights but also their desire to share these experiences with their pets.
3. Celebrating Pet Birthdays
Party Time for Pets: In Oregon, 62% of pet owners throw birthday parties for their pets. While some might see this as over-the-top, for Oregonians, it’s just another way to celebrate the joy their pets bring into their lives.
4. Gifts for the Furry Family
Festive Gifting: Matching the national trend, 83% of Oregon pet owners buy their pets birthday or Christmas presents. It’s clear that in Oregon, pets are considered part of the family, deserving of gifts and celebrations.
5. Keeping an Eye on the Furballs
Pet Surveillance: 46% of Oregonians have a camera to check in on their pets when they’re away. This figure, close to California’s 49%, indicates the importance of ensuring their pets’ safety and well-being, even from a distance.
6. Dietary Choices
Special Diets for Pets: 33% of pets in Oregon have a special or subscription-based diet, and 11% have tried a vegan diet. These numbers reflect Oregon’s broader cultural emphasis on health and wellness, extending to their pets.
7. Complementary Therapies
Holistic Pet Care: 46% of Oregon pet owners have taken their pets for complementary therapies like aromatherapy. This aligns with the state’s inclination towards alternative and holistic health practices.
8. Pet Health Concerns
Allergies and Anxiety: 52% of pets in Oregon reportedly have allergies, with 39% of owners having had their pets tested for the same. Additionally, 32% of pets suffer from anxiety. These figures highlight the state’s proactive approach to pet health and well-being.
9. Pet Expenditure
Spending on Pets: On average, Oregonians spend $6,139 annually on their pets, including food, toys, medical expenses, and more. This showcases the state’s commitment to providing the best for their furry family members.
Oregon’s pet ownership trends offer a fascinating glimpse into the state’s culture and values. From celebrating pet birthdays to investing in their health and well-being, Oregonians truly go the extra mile for their pets. As the Beaver State continues to set pet pampering trends, one thing is clear: in Oregon, pets are more than just animals; they’re family.
Throughout January-February 2023, Dollar Geek surveyed 4,782 American adult pet owners, who owned at least one cat or dog, across 50 states, with a minimum of 93 people per state. The State of Alaska and the State of Hawaii were excluded from this study due to a lack of eligible respondents.
- Source: Forbes Advisor analysis of pet insurance costs. Data based on figures provided by Petinsure.com with 90% reimbursement, and a $250 deductible.
If you found Oregon’s pet ownership trends intriguing, you might also be interested in how pet lovers in other states pamper their furry friends. Dive into our pieces on California’s Pet Ownership Statistics and New York’s Pet Ownership Statistics to discover more.