In the realm of pet ownership, California is not just another state; it’s a trendsetter. From the bustling streets of Los Angeles to the serene landscapes of the Bay Area, the Golden State’s love for its furry companions is unparalleled. But how does California’s pet pampering culture compare to the rest of the nation? Let’s dive into the numbers.
- 81% of Californians Dress Up Their Pets: Nearly double the national average, showcasing a unique blend of fashion and pet love.
- California’s Pet Pampering Expenditure Tops the Charts: Residents spend an average of $6,497 annually on their pets, with the next closest state trailing by hundreds.
- Special Diets for Furry Friends: 36% of Californian pets are on a special or subscription-based diet, a trend not commonly seen in many states.
- Addressing Pet Anxiety: 31% of Californian pet owners turn to CBD-based products or therapies, a reflection of the state’s progressive approach to holistic health.
- Vaccination Vigilance in California: 85% of pets in the state are up-to-date on their vaccines, while some states lag behind with rates as low as 32%.
- Californian Pets on Vegan Diets: 13% have tried a vegan diet, a figure that’s notably higher than many other states.
- Pet Allergies and California: 53% of pets in the state have allergies, with 41% of owners having had their pets tested.
Paws what you’re doing and find more below!
1. Outfits, Puppacinos, and Parties: The Californian Way
When it comes to dressing up pets, 81% of Californians admit to buying outfits for their beloved animals. This number is significantly higher than the national average of 63%. Whether it’s a Halloween costume or a cozy winter sweater, Californian pets are always in vogue.
While 81% of Californians indulge in buying outfits for their pets, only 25% of Alabama pet owners do the same. This stark difference perhaps reflects the differing cultural values and priorities between the two states. The trend of treating pets as family members, often seen in California, might not be as prevalent in states like Alabama.
And the pampering doesn’t stop at clothing. A whopping 80% of Californians have ordered their pets a ‘puppacino’ or other bespoke treats, a figure that dwarfs the national average of 42%. It seems that in California, every day is a treat day for pets.
Birthday parties for pets? Absolutely! 64% of Californians throw birthday bashes for their pets, ensuring that their special day is celebrated in style.
Comparison of Californian’s Pets Lifestyles to Other States:
2. Special Diets and Wellness
California’s health-conscious culture extends to its pets. While 15% of Californian pet owners feed their pets homemade food, 36% have them on a special or subscription-based diet. This focus on nutrition is evident when compared to the national average of 22%. In contrast, Arkansas sees only 11% of its pets on such nutritional plans. This disparity could be due to differing access to specialized pet foods or varying beliefs in pet nutrition across states.
Interestingly, 13% of Californian pets have tried a vegan diet, reflecting the state’s progressive approach to food and sustainability.
Comparison of Californian’s Pets Diets to Other States:
3. Addressing Pet Anxiety
The modern world can be stressful, not just for humans but for pets too. In California, 33% of pets reportedly suffer from anxiety. To combat this, 31% of Californian pet owners have turned to CBD-based products or therapies, a trend that’s catching on in other states but is most pronounced in California. This contrasts sharply with Georgia, where only 3% of pets are reported to have anxiety. The difference could be attributed to the bustling urban environments of California versus the more laid-back settings in Georgia, or perhaps a higher level of awareness about pet mental health in the former.
4. The Financial Side of Pet Ownership
Love doesn’t come cheap, especially when it’s for your furry friend. Californian pet owners spend an average of $6,497 per year on their pets. This expenditure covers food, toys, medical expenses, grooming, and more. When compared to states like New York ($6,179) and Oregon ($6,139), California’s pet-related spending is at the top. Meanwhile, Oklahoma pet owners spend approximately $2,636 annually. This vast difference in pet-related expenditures could be influenced by income disparities, the cost of living, and differing pet care priorities between the two states.
5. Vaccination and Health
A commendable 85% of Californian pets are up-to-date on their vaccines. However, for those who aren’t, the primary reason isn’t skepticism but procrastination, with many owners admitting they “haven’t gotten around to it.” In contrast, Oklahoma lags behind with only 31% of pets vaccinated, with the primary reason being vaccine-related health concerns. This showcases the varying levels of trust and beliefs in pet healthcare between the two states.
Comparison of Californian’s Pets Vaccination Rates to Other States:
The Bigger Picture
While California leads in many pet pampering categories, other states aren’t far behind. New York, Oregon, and Washington, for instance, closely follow California in many metrics, from buying pet outfits to ordering special treats.
However, what sets California apart is the amalgamation of its progressive values, health-conscious culture, and sheer love for pets, making it the ultimate pet pampering paradise.
California’s pet ownership trends offer a fascinating glimpse into the state’s culture and values. As the rest of the nation watches, the Golden State continues to redefine the boundaries of pet pampering, setting new standards for love, care, and indulgence.
Throughout January-February 2023, Dollar Geek surveyed 4,782 American adult pet owners, who owned at least one cat or dog, across 50 states, with a minimum of 93 people per state. The State of Alaska and the State of Hawaii were excluded from this study due to a lack of eligible respondents.
- Source: Forbes Advisor analysis of pet insurance costs. Data based on figures provided by Petinsure.com with 90% reimbursement, and a $250 deductible.
For further reading see our Great American Pet Report: 2023 Pet Ownership Statistics which covers every state or alternatively see our New York Pet Ownership Statistics.
Find out more
- Pet Insurance in Florida – Compare pet ownership stats and insurance options between states.
- Pet Insurance in New York – Insights into how New York’s pet insurance landscape compares to California.
- Pet Insurance Worth It? – Understanding the value of pet insurance in populous states.
- List of Pet Insurance Companies – A comprehensive list to help California pet owners choose.
- Pet Insurance That Pays the Vet Directly – Convenient payment options for California pet owners.
- Does Pet Insurance Cover Vaccinations? – Keeping California pets healthy and protected.
- Spot Review – A closer look at Spot’s offerings for California pets.
- Pets Best Review – Evaluating Pets Best for California pet owners.