Trupanion Pet Insurance is a fully licensed company and one of the leading pet insurance companies in the U.S. with unique features. It provides the best accident and illness offers for dogs and cats up to 14 years.
Its goal is to help your pet receive the best medical care they need when they become sick or injured, while preserving your finances.
Trupanion offers a 90% reimbursement policy for veterinary costs, meaning it pays 90% of veterinary costs back to you. It also covers prescription drugs and alternative therapies, making it comprehensive.
Furthermore, there are extra offers such as pet travel coverage, complementary care coverage, and coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions.
Trupanion has a wide variety of deductible options starting from $0 and limitless coverage, and offers the Vet Direct Pay option after your claim application is approved. All you need to do is to visit their partner vet in the U.S. for treatment.
Pros and Cons of Trupanion Pet Insurance
- 24/7 vet helpline
- Unlimited annual and lifetime coverage
- No prolonged waiting period for special conditions
- Premium doesn’t increase as the pet gets older
- Can pay vet bills directly
- Enrollment from birth is available
- Available coverage for whelping, breeding, and queening
- Coverage caters to herbal treatments, prescription food, and supplements
- Deductible ranges from $0 – $1,000
- 90% reimbursement with no payout limits
- No available routine care coverage
- No coverage for vet exam fees for illness and injuries
- Extra cost to cover acupuncture, rehab, and other complementary therapies
- More expensive than other insurance companies
- Direct pay available only to partner vets
- No wellness plan offer
- Does not cover preexisting conditions
- No discount for multiple pets
- No enrollment is available after 14 years
- Waiting period of 30 days for illnesses
What Benefits Do You Receive From Trupanion’s Pet Insurance?
Trupanion pet insurance has a comprehensive plan covering unexpected illnesses, injuries, and other health conditions. It covers the following:
- Foreign object ingestion
- Bite wounds
- Patella luxation
- Kidney disease
- Urinary obstructions
- Upper respiratory infection
- Cherry eye
- Hip dysplasia
- Thyroid disease
- Heart disease
- Wheelchairs and prosthetic devices
- X-rays, CT scans, MRIs, and other diagnostic tests
- Treatment, exams, surgery, and hospitalization for injuries and illnesses like arthritis.
- Prescription medication for a covered condition.
- Illnesses such as diarrhea or vomiting.
- Injuries such as fractured bone or a broken tooth
- Dental care for periodontal disease
- Herbal therapy
- Behavioral therapies
The following additional coverages are available at extra costs.
Recovery and Complementary Care Rider
This includes coverage for:
- Acupuncture and chiropractic treatment
- Behavioral modification
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative therapy
Pet Owner Assistance Package
This includes nonmedical expenses like:
- Advertising and reward for lost pets
- Boarding fees for hospitalization
- Burial fees or cremation coverage
- Liability coverage for third-party property damage
- Holiday vacation cancellation costs refund
Breeding Pet Coverage
This coverage caters to 90% of vet bills associated with injuries or illnesses from breeding or whelping.
Trupanion Pet Insurance is available in all 50 US, Canada, and Puerto Rico states.
What isn’t Covered By Trupanion?
Trupanion Pet Insurance does not cover the following:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Exam fees for accidents or illnesses
- Routine dental care
- Wellness and preventive care like spaying and neutering, vaccinations, flea, and tick medication
- Intentional injuries
- Cosmetic treatments like tail docking or declawing
- Injuries due to racing or organized fighting
- Bilateral condition. For example, suppose your dog had a cruciate ligament issue on the left knee before the insurance plan. In that case, Trupanion Pet Insurance won’t cover the treatment if it develops on the right knee.
- Any applicable taxes
How Much Does Coverage Cost?
The following table shows the prices for Dallas (postal code 75242) with a $200 annual deductible and a reimbursement limit of $15.000:
|Accident + Illness||Accident + Illness + Wellness plan|
|Exotic Shorthair Cats|
Are There Any Optional Wellness Plans You Can Add?
Trupanion Pet Insurance does not have wellness plans because it was founded to take care of pets’ emergency care, not routine or wellness treatment.
What Are the Waiting Periods For Coverage?
The waiting period refers to when you purchase a policy and when it starts counting. Trupanion Pet Insurance’s waiting period is as follows:
- Accidents: 5 days
- Illnesses: 30 days
- Hip dysplasia: 30 days
- Cruciate ligaments: 30 days
Different Coverage levels
- Deductibles: You need to pay a deductible for your vet costs before being reimbursed. Trupanion doesn’t have an annual deductible like other pet insurers; rather, it offers a per-condition deductible. This means that once you have paid the deductible for a given condition, you will not be required to pay anymore throughout the life of your pet, except if your pet develops a new condition. Deductible amounts range from $0 – $1,000. Trupanion charges no deductibles for pet owners in Florida.
- Reimbursement amounts: With a Trupanion accident and illness policy, 90% of your vet bills is reimbursed after paying your deductible. However, in Florida, you can choose reimbursement options between 50% to 90%.
- Coverage limits: Trupanions has no annual coverage limits.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Trupanion offer a Wellness Plan?
No. Trupanion Pet Insurance deliberately does not have wellness plans. This is because it was founded to take care of pets’ emergency care, not routine or wellness treatment.
Does Trupanion Cover Pre-Existing Conditions?
Trupanion Pet insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, including those not diagnosed before. If your pets show symptoms of a condition before the policy starts without being officially diagnosed, it is considered a pre-existing condition.
However, suppose your pet has not shown any symptoms of a previous condition for over 180 days. In that case, the illness is no longer considered a pre-existing condition, except for ligament and knee issues.
Does Trupanion Cover Dental Cleaning?
Trupanion covers treatment for periodontal diseases and injuries. It doesn’t cover routine care like a dental cleaning.
Does Trupanion have any coverage limits?
Trupanion Pet Insurance has no annual, lifetime, or per-condition coverage limit.
How Do I File a Claim with Trupanion?
After taking your pet to the vet, you must submit your claims within 90 days of the treatment date. We handle your claim in two ways:
- Direct Pay: If your vet is one of our partners, and they have Trupanion’s company software, we can pay them directly.
- Reimbursement: If your vet is not one of our partners, you must pay the vet bills upfront. You can submit your claim and the itemized invoice through our customer portal, by emailing [email protected] , or through snail mail or fax. When your claim is approved, you’ll be reimbursed via direct deposit or check
How long does Trupanion Take to Pay Out?
According to Trupanion, the claims team processes about 60% of claims within a day. Reimbursement takes place within a few days to about two weeks.
How Do I Cancel a Policy From Trupanion?
You can cancel a policy by sending us a written notice. The notice can be sent by the following means:
- Fax: 866-405-4536
- Email: [email protected]
- Mail: Trupanion USA, 6100 4th Ave South, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98108
They will cancel the policy the same day they receive the notice.
Does Trupanion Cover Spaying or Neutering?
Trupanion’s policy does not cover spaying or neutering because they are considered wellness care. It only caters to unexpected illnesses and accidents, not wellness care you can easily plan for in advance.
Does Trupanion Cover Euthanasia?
Yes, but only if the vet recommends it because of the presence or progression of an eligible disease.
Does Trupanion Cover Hip Dysplasia?
Yes. Hip dysplasia is included in Trupanion’s core policy as long as it is not a pre-existing condition.
Does Every Vet Accept Trupanion?
Trupanion Pet Insurance is fully licensed and is accepted by every vet in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Over 10,000 vets and 2,300 veterinary hospitals have partnered with Trupanion to provide the Vet Direct Pay service.
Does Trupanion Pay the Vet Directly?
Yes, they offer direct pay as an available option. To use this service, the vet must be one of their partners and have the company’s software.