Best Cash Back Credit Cards - May 2021
DollarGeek's goal is to help you make the best financial decisions. To help us do this, many or all of the products featured here are from our partners. However, this doesn’t influence our evaluations or ratings.
DollarGeek's team has spent countless hours researching and analyzing the best credit cards. Start comparing today’s best credit cards and offers, from travel and cash back, to business and balance transfers. We focus on the features that matter: rewards programs, affordable APR, welcome offers and more. Choose a category below and find your best credit card today.
How The Best Cash Back Cards Compare
OTHER GEEKY PICKS
From Our Editors
The Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card is a no-annual-fee rewards card that’s best for people with good credit or better who want to save extra at restaurants and on their Delta flights. This card will give you 2 miles per $1 in eligible restaurant and Delta purchases, compared to 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases. New cardholders who spend $500 in the first three months after opening an account also get 10,000 miles, worth roughly $127 in Delta airfare, per our calculations. Plus, the Blue Delta SkyMiles Credit Card provides a 20% statement credit after eligible in-flight purchases: food, beverages and headphones.
Best Cash Back Credit Cards of May 2021
Gain some clarity on the best business credit cards with our geeky insight.
Geek Point Of View:
This is one of Discover’s most popular cards and it’s not hard to see why. The Discover it Cash Back Card will give you the ability to earn up to 5% cash back on purchases, 0% intro rates on new purchases, 0% balance transfer and no annual fee. The whole combination the card gives you is quite rare, but this card also has a couple downsides. The cash back categories that can give you 5% might not always line up with your spending habits and the balance transfer does have a fee associated with it.
Check out our deep dive into the Discover it Cash Back card below:
- 5% bonus categories offer huge savings + some hassle.The Discover it Cash Back credit card gives you 5% back on the first $1,500 you spend in designated purchase categories each quarter (not all categories). So, that 5% cash back on the first $1,500 you spend each quarter essentially means you can earn as much as $300 per year. To make it happen you have to sign up for the new bonus categories each quarter. So, in other words, it won’t just do it for you. Also keep in mind that there’s no guarantee the things you spend the most money on will qualify. For all the purchases that don’t fall under the specific category you will earn 1% cash back on.
- First-year-rewards match is it’s best feature:For a limited time, the Discover it Cash Back will double your first-year earnings. That’s a great deal, worth an extra $525 to the average person, according to our calculations. But it’s not unique, as all of Discover’s rewards cards currently have this promotion.
- No Annual Fee: There is annual fee with the Discover it Cash Back card.
- Intro APR of 0% for 14 months: A nice intro APR of 0% can be an attractive perk if you need to buy some time on big-ticket purchase.
- Healthy Credit Score: To qualify for the Discover it Cash Back card you will need to have good to excellent credit.
The bottom line: The Discover it Cash Back card gives a cash back rewards rate that is sky high, but you have to make sure those categories you earn the most points on match your spending – you don’t want to be stuck with a card that doesn’t reward your spending. If the category calendar has some familiar names, this card is ranks at the top.
APPLY ON THE LINK BELOW:
Geek Point Of View:
The Citi Double Cash card is one of the best credit cards available right now. The combination of top cash-back rewards and no annual fee can let cardholders rack in the both rewards and savings. Aside from the no annual fee, the card gives you a total of 2% cash back in rewards on all purchases. How it works is, when you purchase something you will receive 1%, and after you pay the balance you will receive the other 1%. Having this 2% cash back rewards is a great perk that many cash rewards programs can’t compete with.
A couple of other things cardholders should be conscious of with this card is that while it does offer 0% interest for 18 months on balance transfers, it will also charge a balance transfer fee of 3% (min $5), which could make you think of some other options of your priority is a balance transfer. For those looking for a big sign up bonus, prepared to be disappointed. The Citi Double Cash card does not have any sign-up bonuses or initial rewards bonuses for spending a certain amount within the first few months of opening your account. The absence of an initial sign up bonus might be a disadvantage, but don’t forget you will be getting 2% cash back and no annual fees!
Below you will find a breakdown of the Citi Double Cash. Make sure to look these over before applying.
Citi Double Cash Review Highlights:
- Double your cash back rewards: The Citi Double Cash Card offers cardholders 1% cash back twice – once when you make purchases and again when you pay your bill. The average cash back rewards credit card doesn’t compete with this high rate. 2% is a lot more attractive than the common 1% cash back.
- No huge intro bonus: While this card offers much more ongoing value than most of the other cash back credit cards, the card does not include an initial bonus like most. So, if you’re looking to make a big-ticket purchase and get a big initial bonus for spending during the first months of owning the card, you might want to look elsewhere.
- No annual fee: A lot of the best rewards cards charge annual fees, and it forces you to make a lot of purchases just to get your money’s worth. But with the Citi Double Cash card and it’s $0 annual fee, you can save unneeded cost. By not having an annual fee you can complement this card with another credit card and not worry about wasting money. As for an example, some cardholders will use the Citi Double Cash card for purchases in categories their other rewards cards won’t provide higher bonus earning rates for.
- Zero-interest balance transfer intro offer: New applicants will get a promotional APR of 0% for 18 months on balance transfers (18 months is longer than most other cards provide cardholders). Balances transferred within four months of account opening are eligible for the introductory rate. Terms apply.
- Balance transfers will cost you: The Citi Double Cash balance transfer offer is one of the best deals available (0% for 18 months), but it would be even better if it was paired up with a lower balance transfer fee. The transfer fee is 3% (min $5) so make sure to run the numbers.
- High regular APR: This card comes with a high regular APR so if you’re not going to pay your bill in full every month you might want to look elsewhere.
- You need a healthy credit score: You must excellent credit to qualify for the Citi Double Cash card.
The bottom line: The Citi Double Cash is among 2020’s best cash back credit cards due to its stellar rewards rate, no annual fee, and incentive for paying your monthly balance. If you are looking for a great card with simple, big cashback rewards, and no annual fee, you can’t go wrong with Citi Double Cash card.